Thursday, May 15, 2008

Labor Day Holiday

The following blog was posted in my Friendster Blog last May 2nd, and you can also view it at:
http://jmcsapaula.blogs.friendster.com/the_inconvenient_truth/.


"This is my very first blog. I don't know quite how to start one, but I was told that it is where I can share my thoughts, opinions, stories, favorite music, movies, and anything under the sun. I have always had the problem on deciding what to share...until yesterday.

Yesterday, was May 1, 2008, Labor Day Holiday here in the Philippines, as it is in most countries in the world. But in some countries they celebrate Labor Day on the First Monday of May, and in Canada and the United States, they celebrate it on the First Monday of September. In some parts of Australia, Labor Day falls on the first Monday of March, and in the Bahamas it's on the First Friday of June. I can go on and give you all these dates, but you can easily research all these yourself in Wikipedia...hahaha.

I pondered about it, and thought wouldn't it be beneficial and convenient for us here in the Philippines if we celebrate Labor Day on the First Monday of May instead of May 1? Because in this way, we could enjoy a 3-day weekend (Saturday, Sunday and Monday), or for those who still work on Saturdays could have a two-day weekend (Sunday and Monday). Because look at this week, we worked from Monday through Wednesday, then take a holiday on Thursday, and then back to work again on Friday. If your family live out of town, am sure you could have enjoyed your Labor Day Holiday with them, if you did not have to come back today to work.

I hope that someday somebody would have the courage to ask our President or anybody with authority, if they would look into this and maybe reconsider changing our Labor Day Holiday. Besides Labor Day is for all laborers like us, so why not give us a Holiday which we all can enjoy.

Well, this is all I want to share. Like I said it's my first blog and I hope you like it. Please send me comments. Thank you."

1 comment:

The United Muslim Students Organization said...

Hi! Sir Mike!

Welcome to the BLOGGING WORLD...

May 1, 2008 was my first Labor Day Holiday celebration, I was so happy to finally belong in the Laborers group!!!

However I found it not so good because I have to go to work after a wholeday of vacation,(hehehe)

Kidding a side, I found your post interesting one to comment for, I like the idea that we will celebrate our Labor Day Holiday at the First Monday of May, no exact DATE but with exact DAY of May.

Thanks for the Idea!!!